An investigation has revealed a space heater is responsible for a fire in the garage of an Indian Creek home in Bristol Township early Monday morning. Bristol Township Fire Marshal Kevin Dippolito determined no injuries were sustained, as nobody occupied the house at the time of the fire.

The scene of the blaze. Photo by Rick Rickman.

Burnt out windows, charred electronics, and scattered glass marked the scene of the blaze. Luckily for the rest of the home connected to the garage, the blaze did not spread very far.

This is not the only case of a space heater causing a dangerous situation for home owners.

The National Fire Prevention Association (NFAP) urges the public to be cautious with heating equipment such as space heaters this time of year; December, January, and February are the leading months for home heating fires.

The NFAP reports that heating equipment is the second-leading cause of U.S. home fires. With approximately 45,000 house electrical fires occur each year, heating equipment is involved one in every seven reported home fires. It is also responsible for and one in every five home fire deaths.

To prevent an electrical fire this winter, the NAFP recommends a few tips:

First, install and test fire and carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month. Fire alarms do not detect carbon monoxide, making carbon monoxide alarms a necessity.

Next, have a qualified professional clean and inspect any chimneys, vents, fireplaces, or other types of heating equipment every year to ensure they function correctly and safely.

Also, be sure to plug in only one heat-producing appliance into an electrical outlet at a time. Never use an extension cord with a heat-producing appliance, as they should only be used temporarily. If need be, have an electrician install additional electrical outlets.

WBCB’s Keri Marable contributed to this report.