The Bristol Township Fire Marshal says a quick thinking homeowner saved their house from an inferno.

A clothes dryer damaged by fire.

Local fire companies responded to the 70 block of Red Cedar Drive at about 10 p.m. Thursday night less than five minutes after receiving the call. Luckily, the resident closed the door to their 2nd floor laundry room, containing the flames.

Fire Marshal Kevin Dippolito’s investigation showed the fire began in the dryer.

The National Fire Protection Association reports more than 14,500 home fires start in clothes dryers each year. The following safety tips come directly from the association’s 2017 report on “Home Fires Involving Clothes Dryers and Washing Machines.”

  • Clean the lint filter in a dryer before or after each use because accumulated dust and lint can be a fire hazard.
  • Do not leave a dryer running if you leave the home, because if it malfunctions, no one will be there to avert possible disaster.
  • Take extra care when drying clothes soiled with volatile chemicals (gasoline, cooking oils, cleaning agents, finishing oils, stains). If possible, wash the clothing more than once or hang the clothes to dry. Use the lowest heat setting and a drying cycle that has a cooldown period at the end
  • If a fire occurs inside the dryer, do not open the door to try to put the fire out. Opening the door provides more oxygen and could make the fire worse

The Edgely and Levittown #2 Fire Companies responded to the scene.